Wednesday 4 July 2012

mad hatting

Holidays are perfect times to make. 
Todays task: A bellboy cap for my college play, Lend me a Tenor.
Lovely Catherine Kelly at Embellish Atelier (check out her work here) graciously spared her time, energy and materials to teach me to milliner, so here are a few snaps of what I got done!
This is the base structure of the bellboy cap...its buckram stretched over the block. the material reminded me of what my sisters broken leg cast was made out of. To stretch it over the wooden block, you had to wet it, and then it set into that shape!
 I trimmed the edge, to make it the right depth, and used a blanket stitch to sew down the wire for the edging.
and stitched a cotton tape covering on the wire
now to add the fabric! i found this green wool in mums stash, and it just so happened to match the jacket we hired for the play perfectly! this is a picture of it stitched into place onto the base!
i then cut a band for around the base, and used some braid for piping!
and tucked under the bottom! almost done!!
tomorrow:  millinery part 2 - to finish the bellhop cap with one more row of braid, lining and hat elastic!
see you tomorrow! xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment